- 20:30 BBC One
Darragh MacIntyre investigates the dramatic rise in the number of food banks in Britain.
you may be interested in watching this tonight.
I don’t know what the actual content will be, but I will issue a little word of warning…. this is the BBC, which seems to be a mouthpiece of the Tory party, so…. there is every possibility we’ll get the ” free food” argument so beloved of Lord
I’ve just finished watching the programme and it’s nothing that we didn’t already know;
- 875,000 benefit sanctions last year
- in 11 months, 133,000 were overturned; that’s 400 a day!
- it takes weeks to challenge the appeal and get the cash back
- Edwina Curry does not accept that there is a food poverty crisis
- nobody from the DWP, cabinet office or PM’s office wanted to be interviewed about food poverty/benefit sanctions … quelle suprise!
- Dr David Webster from the University of Glasgow has been researching the sanctions and states that the claimant is left for a lengthy period with no money which leads to complete destitution
- Foodbanks in England & Wales say that the single biggest driver for their use is …… (drum roll please) BENEFIT SANCTIONS
- One interesting fact that I didn’t know is that the programme makers contacted every council in England & Wales who confirmed that £2.9 million pounds of public money is given to foodbanks